Pick up some candy corn and pumpkins, sugar cones, melted chocolate, and cookies when you do your Thanksgiving shopping and you’ll have ingredients for great Thanksgiving favors for younger and older kids alike. Preaparing recipes and decorations for Thanksgiving are what makes the day of thanks extra special for everyone, especially the children. It creates memories and helps them feel included.
Nana has found two recipes for your Thanksgiving table favors that can also be used as Thanksgiving place cards. My children always enjoyed being the ones who decided where the company would sit around the table(s). They knew they could seat themselves between their favorite relatives. Preparing the table and seating plan ahead of time, eliminated our three children arguing over who would sit next to their grandmother. They learned to work out their conflicts…in private.
Give Thanks Cornucopias
This first recipe is simple enough for younger children to make. These “Give Thanks Cornucopias” can be filled with all sorts of goodies.
What you need:
- 8 ice cream sugar cones
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Assorted fall candies (candy corn, candy pumpkins, etc)
- 8 (2 x 3/4 inch pieces lightweight cardstock)
What to do:
- Dip edges of cones into melted chocolate; let stand on wire racks or waxed paper until chocolate is firm. Place each cone on its side; fill with candy.
- To make place cards, write names on pieces or cardboard. Attach to top of cones with melted chocolate as shown.
Makes 8 favors or place cards
This second recipe for Thanksgiving favors for your table is for making “Cookie Gobblers”. They make charming place card holders or a simple kids dessert.
What you need:
- 8 marshmallow puff cookies
- 4 striped shortbread ring cookies
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 8 candy corn
- 8 (2 1/2 x 1 1/2-inch) pieces lightweight cardstock
What to do:
- Cut down into marshmallow cookie halfway between center and edge. Starting in back, cut horizontally toward first cut. Dip knife in hot water and dry it before each cut. Discard pieces.
- Cut striped cookies in half. Attach 1 striped cookie half with melted chocolate to cut edge of marshmallow cookie to form tail as shown i photo. Attach candy corn to front of turkey with melted chocolate as shown. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- To make place cards, write ames near top edges of cardboard. Place behind striped cookie half; attach with melted chocolate, if desired.
Makes 8 turkeys
Note:Pre-cut the cookies ahead of time. Be sure to supervise young children while the melted chocolate is hot. Use fall colors for the cards and ink.
Here is a paper Corncob Silverware Holder for the youngest children to color for your Thanksgiving table.