Thanksgiving Table: Braided Bread Napkin Rings
Homemade napkin rings will bring country charm to your holiday table. Children will have fun helping you with this homemade bread napkin ring recipe. Make the Cornucopia Centerpiece to add to your Thanksgiving table decorations.
What you need:
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix, plus ingredients to prepare
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- flour for work surface
- 4 paper tubes from paper towels, foil or other wrap
- cooling racks
What to do:
- Wrap tubes in foil; grease lightly. Grease baking sheets.
- Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Cover loosely; let stand in bowl about 15 minutes.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface into two 12×6-inch rectangles. Cut dough into strips (6×1/2-inch) to make 48 strips.
- Braid 3 strips of dough. Wrap around prepared tubes, pinching ends of dough to seal. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat over to 375F. Combine yegg yolk and water; carefully brush on dough.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove tubes to wire racks; cool completely on tubes. Carefully remove rings.
Makes 16 napkin rings
Note: If making less than 16 napkin rings, remaining dough can be shaped into rolls and baked according to package directions.