This is a perfect cake to serve on any special gift giving occasion, such as Christmas. An eye catching marzipan bow transforms an everyday looking cake into a dazzling gift box.
- 1 recipe Marzipan
- red food color
- 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) devil’s food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup finely ground hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
What to do:
- Prepare Marzipan, coloring it red as shown in photo, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 13×9-inch pan.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in large bowl. Beat on low speed of electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Bring cream and butter to a simmer in small saucepan; remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate, stirring until melted. Cool to room temperature. Cover; refrigerate until mixture is thick enough to spread, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place cake on serving tray. Frost with thickened cocolate mixture. Refrigerate until cake is well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Divide marzipan into 4 equal parts. Roll 1 part into 1/2-inch-thick rope. Place rope between sheets of waxed paper and roll into strip 1-inch wide and 16 to 18 inches long (use sharp knife to make edges straight).
- Lay strip lengthwise down center of cake continuing down over sides; trim ends to fit. Repeat rolling procedure with second piece of marzipan; cut crosswise in half. Place strips on cake as shown in diagram. trim ends.
- Repeat rolling procedure with third piece of marzipan, making strip 15 inches long. Fold ends in toward center to make bottom loops of bow as shown in diagram 2; place on cake as shown. Repeat rolling procedure with fourth piece of marzipan, making one 8-inch strip in half crosswise; fold into 2 loops and place on first loop as shown in diagram 2. Fold under ends of 4-inch strip to form loop; place as shown in diagram 2.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.