Use this Gingerbread Cookie recipe* to make delicious treats for the holidays.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
What to do:
- Beat shortening, brown sugar, molasses, egg white and vanilla in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in small bowl. Add to shortening mixture; mix well. Cover; refrigerate until firm, about 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
*Use this recipe with our Edible Christmas Favors: Yule Tree Place Cards