It’s time to think about school and improving math skills once again. Fun, online math gaames are a convenient tool to help your grandchildren review last year’s math skills in preparation for the new school year.
Learning math is like learning any new skill…it must be practiced everyday to do it right and hold it in memory. It is very important for students to fully learn math skills at each level because they are the foundation on which each new level of math concepts are built. Students must be able to transfer those skills from one level to the next.
Games promote transfer because they require student participation and active involvement with the material within a rich context. Creating opportunities for students to practice applying the material, such as in a game, can bridge the distance between learning concepts presented in a classroom and using that information to solve a problem met outside of the school.
Interactive online games are designed to keep students’ attention, including children with attention deficits. If learning is enjoyable your grandchildren will want to play the math games over and over providing opportunities to improve comprehension, retention, and recall.
Nana found 10 free fun math educational websites, some of the best on the Internet, to save you time to spend with your grandchildren. Many of the games are fun for all ages so sit with your grandchild and have a go at them!
Suggestion: Read the directions and practice before your grandchild does so you can help him/her learn how to play the games minimizing your grandchild’s frustration and helping him/her stay focused. The experience can be a chance to have fun together and help make your bond stronger.
Some of the following 10 free educational websites listed here on NanaFinds.com also have fun games and activities in other subject areas. Let your grandchild look around to find what other subjects he/she might like to improve while having fun, too!
You will need Adobe Flash Player or Adobe Shockwave installed to play some of the games. If you aren’t sure if you have Flash Player on your computer, go to this page and for Shockwave, go to this page. They will tell you if you have them installed.
- Free math arcade style games for every elementary grade, plus other learning games, too!
- Many types of free interactive math games focusing on all skills that help with math
- Educational math activities for kids include free online games
- Free fun educational techniques, tips, and strategies to help your grandchild improve math skills
- Teaches kids that math is everywhere, everyone can be good at it, and it’s fun! Free and designed for kids 8 – 12.
- Not just math…offers dozens of free interactive games specifically designed to pinpoint one or several essential concepts taught in elementary years, and dozens of research themes designed to make the process of gathering information interactive and enjoyable.
- Free Online Math Games (and more) provided by Sheppard Software.
- Fun educational website for kids with free math games and more
- Middle School through High School: divisibility, factoring, x y coordinates, and slope-intercept free games
- Educational video games offer an innovative approach to teaching basic academic skills by incorporating features of arcade games and educational practices into fun free online games